portable storage

Naomi Elizabeth-Palosaari Fox naomi.fox at UTAH.EDU
Sat Dec 1 21:47:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

I had considered the same question a few months ago. I am using my Ipod for backup storage in the field and have no problems to report. The reason I wanted to do this was because you can get a Memory Card reader which will directly transfer files from memory cards to the IPOD without needing a computer.

http://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1510

I assumed that the card reader would work with any kind of file. However, I could not actually get the reader to work with my Ipod, although I´m yet not sure if that´s because of the file type or because I had received a faulty unit. They are difficult to find and I had to order online. If anyone has had any success in finding a way to store and upload audio files from a solid state recorder, I´d love to hear about it.

By the way, I´m very satisified with my primary mobile storage device, a Western Digital 160G portable hard drive, small and easy to transport.  There are bigger capacities available.
http://www.buy.com/prod/western-digital-passport-160gb-usb-2-0-portable-2-5-external-hard-drive/q/loc/101/203169718.html

--Naomi
____________________________________
Naomi Fox
Center For American Indian Languages
University of Utah
naomi.fox at utah.edu

________________________________

De: Terry J. Klokeid [mailto:klokeid at victoria.tc.ca]
Enviado el: sáb 12/1/2007 10:59
Para: RNLD List
Asunto: portable storage

I am looking for portable storage for voice recordings.

Our project has just purchased some Zoom H2 Handy Recorders to make voice recordings, mainly in field conditions, not studio conditions. Our tests of a unit before purchase indicated that H2 recordings are of suitable quality. The portability and ability to record without an AC power source and without a computer will suit our conditions.

The H2 records onto SD cards. Our ultimate aim is to put selections onto CDs and MP3 players for distribution. To accomplish this, the recordings will be passed around to several computer setups. (We use a variety of computers. The one I use most is a G4 Powerbook, OS 10.4.11, but the project membership uses both Macintosh and Windows machines of varying vintage.)

 What is the best way to store the voice recordings long-term? I have thought of the iPod, because: 1. it has ample capacity, I think 180 gigs, 2. it is portable and runs on battery power, 3. the recordings can be played back without the presence of the H2 or a computer, for example taking it to someone's living room for review, or playing back on the beach (for place names and such).

Or is the iPod not feasible?

I am still unfamiliar with formats for digital storage, so there are undoubtedly issues I am unaware of.