Elder Speaker issues

M Garde murraygarde at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Fri Apr 18 01:26:27 UTC 2008

Loved your posting Bill. Reminds me of a story I read by the poet and
ecologist writer Gary Snyder, which I have excerpted below. It
doesn't quite have the raw excitement of your experience, but here it
is nevertheless:

The Etiquette of Freedom

             One June afternoon in the early seventies I walked
through the crackly gold grasses to a neat but unpainted cabin at the
back of a ranch near the drainage of the South Yuba in northern
California. It had no glass in the windows, no door. It was shaded by
a huge black oak. The house looked abandoned and my friend, a student
of native California literature and languages, walked right in. Off
to the side, at a bare wooden table, with a mug of coffee sat a solid
old gray-haired Indian man. He acknowledged us, greeted my friend,
and gravely offered us instant coffee and canned milk. He was fine,
he said, but he would never go back to a VA hospital again. From now
on if he got sick he would stay where he was. He liked being home. We
spoke for some time of people and places along the western slope of
the northern Sierra Nevada, the territories of Concow and Nisenan
people. Finally my friend broke his good news: “Louie, I have found
another person who speaks Nisenan.” There was perhaps no more than
three people alive speaking Nisenan at that time, and Louie was one
of them. “Who?” Louie asked. He told her name. “She lives back of
Oroville. I can bring her here, and you two can speak.” “I know her
from way back,” Louie said. “She wouldn’t want to come over here. I
don’t think I should see her. besides, her family and mine never did
get along.”
             That took my breath away. Here was a man who would not
let the mere threat of cultural extinction stand in the way of his
(and her) values. To well-meaning sympathetic white people this
response is almost incomprehensible. In the world of his people,
never overpopulated, rich in acron, deer, salmon, and flicker
feathers, to cleave to such purity, to be perfectionists about
matters of family or clan, were affordable luxuries. Louie and his
fellow Nisenan had more important business with each other than
conversations. I think he saw it as a matter of keeping their
dignity, their pride, and their own ways— regardless of what straits
they had falen upon— until the end.

From, Gary Snyder, 1990. The Practice of the Wild. San Francisco:
North Point Press. pp 3-4.

Murray Garde
Australia
murraygarde at ozemail.com.au