Master Apprentice in Australia

myf turpin myfturpin at UQ.EDU.AU
Thu May 8 01:49:21 UTC 2008

Hi Margaret

Although no longer operating, I was involved in a Master-Apprentive style
program back in 1996-2000 at the Dictionaries Program at the Institute for
Aboriginal Development (IAD) in Alice Springs. It was set up by NTED
linguist Robert Hoogenraad. It was a complex funding-training arrangement,
so he would be able to give you more accurate details on this, which I
believe was a lot of work.

I was employed by IAD as a linguist to compile a Kaytetye Dictionary, but
part of my role was trainer & mentor for a young Kaytetye woman (a
non-language speaker) who was enrolled at UNE's first year linguistics
program. UNE recognised Batchelor College CALL's course (co-ordinated by Joe
Caffery) and she received one-on-one language Kaytetye lessons with 2
language speakers weekly, which I helped coordinate and direct, and did  the
assessment for. These were always fun, but very time consuming to make
happen.  At IAD she received Kaytetye specific linguistics training, did
transcription and language analysis and went on field trips with me,
recording wordlists, stories etc. This work was also recognised by Batchelor
and UNE.

The arrangement ceased when the trainee went on matenity leave, though there
might have been some funding issues (check with Robert). She did a
vernacular literacy course at IAD a year later, which again I tutored her
in. My relationship with the trainee, which was always very close,
continued, and we rode through some ups and downs (I wrote about some
aspects of this in my PhD). After further maternity leave she didnt return
to language studies, though did occassional transcription work. I recently
wote a referee report for her and she was accepted into social work at
University of South Australia, which she is currently enjoying.

Cheers
Myf