Master Apprentice in Australia

Robert Hoogenraad hoogie at NETSPACE.NET.AU
Fri May 9 01:59:42 UTC 2008

Hi Margaret, Myf,
I did indeed set up that arrangement, but I wouldn't describe it as a
Master-Apprentice relationaship.  She was in a Traineeship. Myf was
the mentor, but the sessions with the Kaytetye language speakers were
really just that: lessons, as part of a special arrangement with UNE
that they recognise one of Batchelor's units, under which she did the
language lessons as just one component.

There are, in Central Australia, some instances of a young person
(usually a woman) having a special relationship with one, or usually
a small  group, of senior women (or men?), in which they learn more
in depth about their culture - and hence language - than other young
people do. But these are relationships that the young persons set up
themselves, with senior kin. They are in no way formalised, at least
in the instances I know of.

And yes, it was very diffcult to set up: all the funding agencies
talked support, but all flicked me on to another, round in circles.
AIATSIS in the end was the most helpful, but their base of funding
for projects was (and probably still is) very low.

Cheers, Hoogie

--
Robert Hoogenraad, Linguist
e-mail: <hoogie at netspace.net.au>