Doulos SIL font

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 23 19:17:30 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:34, Greg Aumann <Greg_Aumann at sil.org> wrote:
> The introduction to Doulos SIL states, "This current release is a
> regular typeface, with no bold or italic version available or planned."
> http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=DoulosSILfont
>
> So what you are seeing is expected behaviour. I expect it was done that
> way to avoid the work of designing the other faces. A lot of work.
>
> If you need italic, bold etc then you need to use another font. Charis
> SIL is a possibility. Gentium may also be a possibility but currently it
> has a much lower inventory of characters. Perhaps it will have all the
> symbols you need.

Another alternative which is more Times-like is Aboriginal Serif, that
has all four varieties (Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold Italic):

http://www.languagegeek.com/font/abfont/abroman.html
http://www.languagegeek.com/font/fontdownload.html

It's slightly lower quality than Doulos SIL, and is missing some
things like tone bars, but it works well for a number of purposes. The
only thing I really dislike about it is the anemic glottal stop.

Linux Libertine is another Times-like font which has good support for
a wide variety of Latin/Greek/Cyrillic forms. It's also available in
all four varieties, as well as a set of small caps which work well for
glossing.

http://linuxlibertine.sourceforge.net/

This also lacks tone bars, as well as some other obscure stuff. On the
other hand, it has great Greek and Cyrillic, as well as a variety of
ligatures and variant forms.

Cheers,
James