Transcriber

Christopher Doty suomichris at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 31 18:55:13 UTC 2009

Kind of off-topic from the original question, but some might find the
below helpful...

Re: keyboard commands conflicting with IPA characters: there are a
couple of workarounds to this.  First is a keyboard layout called
IPAKeys (download link: http://tr.im/i35Z).  It installs a keyboard in
the 'International' settings, letting you switch to an IPA keyboard.

If you still have conflicts, you can also check out a program from SIL
called Ukelele [sic], which allows you to build your own keyboard
layout, and install it just like IPAKeys.  A nice feature of Ukelele
is that it also allows you to edit keyboard layouts, so you could take
the IPAKeys layout as a starting place, and only change the key
combinations which cause problems for you.  More information about
Ukelele can be found at:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=Ukelele

One final handy solution for customizing your keyboard is a utility
called DoubleCommand, which lets one modify what the various
'command', 'utility', 'open apple' keys do.  So, for example, I have
the 'enter' key at the lower-right of my keyboard mapped to function
as a 'command' key.  This is a system-wide change, so it won't
directly solve key combinations conflicts, but it can make typing IPA
characters easier/more comfortable. More info on DoubleCommand here:
http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

Re: emulators.  Another option, for folks who haven't purchased
something like VMFusionWare or Parallels is Sun Microsystem's
VirtualBox, which is free, and works great.  More info about this
here: http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/index.jsp

Best,

Chris