video cameras

Tom Honeyman t.honeyman at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 26 04:11:19 UTC 2010

I basically agree that we should keep copies of the original,
untransformed media files, whatever they may be. By all means, make
derivatives, but hang on to the original!

But I just want to put a warning about using "mov" format. MOV, and
AVI are just wrappers around media streams. They contain general
metadata, and explain the encoding of the streams of media (video,
audio, subtitles etc) contained within them. So basically you could
transcode a media file into any number of encodings and still save it
as a mov file. Or you could receive mov files from different sources
and require different codecs to play them back.

So, potentially you could have a collection of videos that use
completely different codecs, all saved as mov files. A casual
inspection of files would not reveal that however, and this is the
dangerous bit. In transferring a media file from one computer to
another, the average user wont know until they try to open all the
files that they actually have all of the necessary codecs to play
them. Exactly the same problem applies to AVI. Of course, there are
ways around this, but still, it's worth knowing.

As for forward compatibility, well that depends on Apple.

-tom