video cameras

Tom Honeyman t.honeyman at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 26 03:22:28 UTC 2010

I just want to point out a tricky problem with miniDV versus flash/HD
based recorders, which is (if you want to skip the long-winded bit
below): DV is a compressed format that doesn't automatically trump
compression used in modern recorders. It isn't the best. In fact it's
a pain in the neck.

(before I begin, I am always talking about lossy compression here, not
lossless compression)

The video that is transferred from MiniDV cassettes is often called
raw. But actually dv is a compressed format, using a  discrete cosine
transform algorithm, with a ratio of 5:1 (or higher). There are other
aspects of the format (as it is stored on a tape, not on the computer)
that relate to the fact that it is stored on fallible magnetic media,
but I won't go into that. When using DV as a format you are using a
degraded form. "Digitising" (or transferring to your computer) may or
may not also re-compress the original compressed DV stream. But in
transferring a recording to your computer, you receive an already
compressed file, not an uncompressed file.

I admit I'm being a little pedantic, but I simply want to point out
that when you copy a compressed AVI file (or any of the many other
formats out there) off of the flash card or HD drive, you are
similarly making a "raw" copy of that file. Really, with digital
video, the debate is about the subjective quality of one compression
algorithm over another. Unless you are using truly high end gear, no
one is using uncompressed video. Lets face it, if you did, it would be
completely unmanageable with current tech. Imagine working with a real
raw video file. With a frame size of 640x480 (not HD), an hour of
footage would be 82.8GB! That's a fair bit more than a DV file.

Because storage is cheap with magnetic media (but more fallible), and
we are now approaching a point where solid state storage is becoming
cheaper, there has been a transitional trade off. DV uses a lower
compression ratio than most modern consumer and "prosumer" level
recorders, but modern formats in modern devices use compression
algorithms that produce subjectively better results at much higher
compression ratios. Basically, it was cheaper to use worse compression
at a lower ratio with cheaper storage (that was more fallible). But DV
is a pain in the neck. So we had these transitional forms of storage
with DVD based recorders, and Hard Disk recorders, which allowed
cheaper storage of larger amounts of data (but both of which are power
hungry, produce noise, and are still fallible - but less so than
tape). Meanwhile, we're sitting around waiting for Flash based Storage
to get cheaper... and now it is. As a side point, the computing power
in these devices has also increased, allowing us to apply
computationally more complex algorithms.

What I really like about these newer removable flash-based devices is
that they have low power consumption, are less fallible (if you buy
good flash cards), and I copy the file off of the card and start using
it in ELAN within minutes. Another great thing that all new formats
have over DV is that many/most of them can record for more than an
hour! I carry two wafer thin flash cards and transfer my data to
alternate storage in the field. Perfect but...

The main problems then are the proliferation of a variety of file
formats, the fact that many of them are proprietary and the difficult
question of subjective quality of the video compression - which is an
equally valid question to pose about DV formatted video.

So yes,

> It has also been sometime since we have revisited what the
> manufacturers are doing in regards to recording formats.

that's the tricky bit...

-tom