GPS and fieldwork?

David Nash David.Nash at ANU.EDU.AU
Sun May 23 05:14:53 UTC 2010

Further to Aidan's post on GPS loggers,

At 1:02 PM +1000 23/5/10, Aidan Wilson wrote:
>I gave it a quick go, trying to get the data off, because it's
>apparently just gpx files, which are readable from a bunch of
>different programs, including google earth. However I had immense
>difficulty.
Yes, Aidan didn't manage to get the data out of the device by
unadvertised means -- BUT the free software as at
http://www.gisteq.com/Mac/ does interrogate the device OK.

As well as recording a track (/route) (at a user-controlled
granularity), a GPS logger is good for geotagging photos from a
camera that doesn't have a GPS.  It is also useful for geolocating
video (or any other records), providing the clock time of the video
etc is recorded somehow.

At 9:13 PM +1000 21/5/10, Nick Thieberger wrote:
>  It is of course yet another device that needs batteries,
Yes -- though GPS loggers (unlike regular GPSs) typically recharge
through USB so don't need a separate charger.  And it is small and
light enough that it can be worn (eg on one's hat(!)) and ignored for
the day.

However a GPS logger is no use for showing location while out and about.

David