GPS and fieldwork?

Tom Honeyman t.honeyman at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 23 05:43:07 UTC 2010

Just wanted to add a side point to using a handheld GPS. But I might
add, these GPS loggers are particularly handy if the weight of your
kit is important. I've been playing with an i-gotU logger which has
software for PC and an open source client for Mac or Linux.

Its a good idea if you record a track route while taking photos to
start by taking a photo of of the screen of the GPS with the date and
time (and location) displayed. Photographing the screen will allow you
to finely calibrate the difference between the time stamp in your
photo, and the date/time on the GPS (which is more accurate). There
are programs that let you then later batch convert the time stamps in
photos by a set amount if they are incorrect.

The date might be incorrect because your watch was slow, or because
you haven't changed time zones on your camera, or (and this is no
recommendation for being lazy about setting dates on devices) you
forgot to set the time. Also, if your little camera battery that keeps
the time ticking over in your camera when its switched off dies, then
by taking a photo of the GPS each time you switch the camera on, you
will often be able to recover the date and time for your photos (given
that that the time will reset to "zero" and tick over while you leave
it switched on). You don't want to depend on it though, because many
digital cameras will often switch off after a set amount of time.

Perhaps starting a video with a shot of your gps might not be a bad
idea?

-tom