USB audio input devices

John Hatton john_hatton at SIL.ORG
Tue May 25 05:27:17 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

Can someone recommend a device for doing direct recording into a computer,
at 24 bit/96 khz, using only USB 2?   The system will be used with a
microphone to do the "careful speech" stage of the BOLD approach.  There
seems to be some question about USB's ability to handle the load, but I'm
looking for something which will work with netbooks, which don't normally
come with firewire inputs.  There's a number of devices for sale with claim
this ability, but, well, being in PNG, if we get ones which don't really
deliver, it's an expensive mistake.

If anyone has managed to make a Zoom H4N perform this role, I'd love to hear
that (that would mean one less bit of kit).

Thanks for any advice.

John Hatton
 <http://pnglanguages.org/> SIL Papua New Guinea,  <http://palaso.org>
Palaso, &  <http://sil.org> SIL International Software Development