Zoom H4N reduced pricing for those interested

Mark Post mark.post at JCU.EDU.AU
Tue May 25 07:08:12 UTC 2010

Hi Terry -
Well, I don't mean to imply that the H2 is a piece of junk, as I
certainly don't think it is (although the internal mics are pretty
thin-sounding and are not very useful for multi-speaker recordings
unless you love ambient noise). But all it takes is a pairwise test with
a good self-powered stereo mic to hear the difference (and even see it
on your squeaky-clean spectrogram!). Plus, the H4n is very
sturdily-built (the SD card flap on two of our H2s broke within weeks,
exposing the SD interface to dust, etc.). If you're determined to use
inbuilt mics, I also think that the H4n's capsules are quite a bit
better, and the internal gain is a bit better as well. If neither a
couple hundred dollars nor about 3 ounces of weight are deal-breakers, I
can't think of a single argument in favour of an H2 versus the H4n!
Cheers
Mark

EML: mark.post at jcu.edu.au
TEL: +61-7-4042-1881 (AU)