SD card to SD card transfer?

Rik rdbusser at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 11 23:15:25 UTC 2010

Hi Andrea,

Why wouldn't you just go with a netbook ($300-800) and couple of extra
batteries (no idea what those things cost)? Some of the new ones have a
battery life of about 8 hours. Copying a 16 gig SD card can't take more than
15-30 minutes, so you would be able to back up 10-16 SD cards on a single
battery, provided you can't recharge anywhere.

Portable, not too exotic, it would get you a portable operating system/email
client/ on top of a duplicator...

Rik

------------------------------
Rik De Busser
Research Centre for Linguistic Typology
La Trobe University, Bundoora 3086 VIC, Australia
T: +61 3 9479 6413
www.rdbusser.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Good [mailto:jcgood at buffalo.edu]
Sent: 12 October 2010 08:59
To: Andrea L. Berez
Cc: r-n-l-d
Subject: Re: SD card to SD card transfer?

Hello Andrea,

I have never tried them, but I recall someone once suggesting that devices
like this one might be good for the kind of situation you describe:

http://www.amazon.com/eXtreme3-Digital-Hi-Speed-Backup-Storage/dp/B0021AELI4
/ref=pd_cp_p_2

It doesn't copy from one SD card to another. Rather, it's a portable
battery-powered hard drive that basically copies all material from any SD
card you put in them. So, it offers a kind of backup. It's marketed to
people who want to back up their photos without a computer. I guess one
would want to test that it works all right with sound files, too, but I
think the devices are designed to be pretty stupid and just copy whatever
they find on a card you put in them.

Jeff

On Oct 11, 2010, at 5:28 PM, Andrea L. Berez wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I am investigating options for transferring data from one SD card to
another without the use of a computer intermediary (think no-laptop
fieldwork). There must be some small device that can both read from and
write to SD cards. Any recommendations, or barring such a device, and
suggestions for work-arounds?