SD card to SD card transfer?

John Olstad jtolstad at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 12 01:55:30 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Agree with Ric (Hi Ric!), netbook with solar charger
http://www.powerfilmsolar.com/

I'm leaving next month for a between 6 and 9-month fieldwork trip to a
remote atoll with no access to electricity whatsoever.  Even this situation
is not a no-laptop fieldwork situation.  I'm using the lenovo x201s which is
a fully-powered laptop with a 12-hour battery.  My electronics are all
charged by a car battery that is kept topped up by solar panels.  There are
also cheaper laptops by ASUS that have 11-hour batteries.

That might sound like a cumbersome set-up, but I'm telling you it works and
I'm not one of the first ones to do it by a longshot:)

Flash cards are pretty resilient (DOA or last forever so make sure to test
beforehand), but if you are really worried about it failing, you could
record to magnetic tape (i.e. cassette tape).

Good luck,
John Olstad