example sentences in a dictionary

Peter Austin pa2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Wed Oct 20 06:18:48 UTC 2010

This is an interesting issue and one I am sure others have had to face too.

My suggestion would be to produce a couple of sample pages in various
formats (eg. with and without the morpheme break symbols) and test
them out on a range of users to see what response you get.

The only extra information you are providing is a parse of the words,
but if there are potential ambiguities, eg. lots of morpheme
homophony, then the parse may not be any more helpful to readers. Why
not make the parsed and glossed examples available, eg. on a website
or another publication, and include an index reference in the
published examples in the dictionary so really keen readers can go
look up the parse and all the other metadata you have created like
gloss, notes, context, speaker, location/date etc.? (Recall that all
of this stuff is metadata, as David Nathan and I pointed out in an
article in LDD in 2004, so there is as much of it as you have the time
and energy to create.)

Best,
Peter

--
Prof Peter K. Austin
Marit Rausing Chair in Field Linguistics

web: http://www.hrelp.org/aboutus/staff/index.php?cd=pa