example sentences in a dictionary

Dorothee Beermann dorothee.beermann at HF.NTNU.NO
Thu Oct 21 07:51:32 UTC 2010

Dear Laura, Hi all,

I do not know what the best will be in your case, but I
would like to report on our experience with the integration of
annotated examples into a Bono (Abron) dictionary.
(Bono is a dialect of Akan spoken in Ghana).

We combined a Toolbox dictionary and Interlinear glosses edited
in TypeCraft.

The 1500 word dictionary of Akan produced at the University of Ghana
in Legon features example sentences, yet these examples were not annotated,
and  we found them less helpful for learners of Akan and for linguists
which are the target group of the Legon Akan lexicon.

I have sent you a sample of the dictionary in a separate mail.

If you are interested in the example sentences you might want to look at
them
online by going to www.typeCraft.org.

Use one of the browsers listed on the TypeCraft main page. Go to *Text
search* in the navigation bar on the left of your browser window and
specify'Abron' as language. The annotator and the author of the Bono
lexicon is Bright Amoah. He did this work for his master's thesis.

Best

Dorothee

--
Dr. Dorothee Beermann, assoc. prof.
Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU)

Surface mail to: NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway/Norge

Visit:   Dragvoll, Bldg. 4, Floor 5, Room 4504, NO-7049

Tel.:    +47 73 596525

E-mail:  dorothee.beermann at hf.ntnu.no

Homepage:
http://www.hf.ntnu.no/hf/isk/Ansatte/dorothee.beermann/personInfo.html