batch conversion to pdf

Aidan Wilson a.wilson at PGRAD.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Wed Oct 27 00:20:05 UTC 2010

All true. But it's better than archiving in .doc format. Take the current
situation with .docx as an example; Microsoft no longer support their own
propriatary formats (.doc, .ppt, .xls, .mdb, etc) and to read them in the
newest Office suite, you must download the 'compatibility pack'. The reason is
of course that other software engineers and manufacturers like Sun Microsystems
have reverse engineered these formats and make software that can read and write
to them easily. So Microsoft, understandably, is oriented towards control of
their formats - an aim that is largely incompatible with those of the
archivist.

Adobe, by contrast, have released .pdf as an open standard format, making it
quite reliable for archive. To respond to your concerns about indexing and
searchability, most pdf files (and pdf creation tools, printers, etc) encode
character information in a text file layer. It's not perfect (try to copy/paste
the text from a pdf and you'll quickly see why), but it will eventually improve
to the point where merely by printing to pdf, it will encode a text only
version as a sublayer, making it just as searchable as .doc.

Alternatively, you could copy/paste the contents out of a word doc and archive
as a raw text file (in addition to pdf). It'd consume negligibly little storage
space.

--
Aidan Wilson

PhD Candidate
Dept of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
The University of Melbourne

+61428 458 969
a.wilson at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au