low power consumption laptops

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Fri Apr 15 17:49:31 UTC 2011

I am looking for advice re netbooks that have low power consumption, for
use where the only source of power is solar.  Since I am normally a Mac
user, I don't know much about netbooks.  Some of the discussion I've
seen on this list talks about number of hours the battery lasts, but
that's not necessarily the same as low consumption, since one can
imagine a laptop whose battery lasts longer than another laptop (because
it's a good battery), but which still consumes more energy.  However, I
don't know if this difference is in practice real; maybe it turns out in
practice that number of hours a battery lasts is a good measure of
energy consumption.  Does anyone know the answer to that?

Someone said a few months ago "The best bit about the netbook is that
19V models, as i've said, will run happily in a 12V DC environment
without the need for inversion".  Does this mean one doesn't need an
adaptor?  I find this attractive since with my Macs I have had a lot of
bad luck with adaptors for use with 12V DC failing.  And I can't find
any information online about 19V netbooks.  Can anyone recommend a
specific model like this?

Thanks,

Matthew