satellite phones (and keeping in touch with home)

nick williams nicholas.j.williams at colorado.edu
Mon Dec 5 01:05:56 UTC 2011

Dear All,

I have a rather specific question, but I haven't been able to find much
information on this and thought those of you with experience doing
fieldwork in remote locations might have some ideas. Beginning in March and
for about a year I'll be doing fieldwork in a remote village in
southeastern Indonesia (Alor). There is no electricity (other than a few
hit-or-miss generators). I plan to bring solar panels and/or a generator
(depending on how much funding I have). However, there is also no cell
phone service. I'd like to be able to keep in touch with my family back
home without making regular trips to the nearest internet-connected
location (several hours away), so I'm considering investing in a satellite
phone.

So, my questions: Has anyone used such a device in the field before? in
Indonesia our the surrounding region in particular? Would it be better to
buy the phone in country to make sure I get something that works? Are there
any other options for setting up satellite-internet access in the field
that isn't outrageously expensive (the phones themselves are quite pricey!).

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!
cheers,
Nick

Nicholas Williams