Toolbox crossovers vs parallels

Beth Bryson Beth_Bryson at sil.org
Wed Dec 7 22:34:38 UTC 2011

Crossover is not native Windows, so you are likely to get different results than one of the options that requires a genuine copy of Windows (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox).  There is no guarantee that something that works in Windows will work in Crossover.  For instance, Toolbox does, but I remember hearing that Keyman doesn't (or used to not work), so if you have special character needs that you use Keyman for, that could be a problem.  And there are likely to be other things that may not work.

I have heard of people having good success with all three of Parallels, VMWare, and VirtualBox.  The main thing that I can tell that differentiates them is that VirtualBox is free.

-Beth