Summary of the recent discussion regarding online learning tools to support training

Alison Soutar asoutar at rnld.org
Tue Dec 20 22:09:21 UTC 2011

Dear RNLDers,

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to our recent discussion regarding
online learning tools. We have summarised key points below and hope this
information may help others who are considering developing their own online
learning tools to support their training programs.

*Blackboard*

Several Australian Universities are using Blackboard and the response
regarding how user-friendly it is has been varied.  Some people find it
very effective as a learning support tool, however several people found
that from an administrative perspective it can be very time intensive. The
Blackboard Learn package is the basic package which covers all of the basic
functions most educational institutions require. They also now offer a
Blackboard Collaborate package which has additional features such as
`virtual teaching’ which offers a live stream training simulation
application. All Blackboard products are classified as Proprietary Software
and therefore set up, customisation and maintenance must be done through
Blackboard.  The set up fee can range between $15,000-$40,000 depending on
the sophistication of the system required, and they also charge annual
renewal fee.

*Moodle*
Moodle is becoming increasingly popular particularly in the TAFE and
schools sectors and several universities around the world are now moving to
Moodle.  This is not surprising as Moodle is open source and completely
free to download and use.  Moodle have several official partners around the
world who can customise, host and provide support services to educational
institutions for a fee, or alternatively you can engage your own IT
consultant to undertake this work for you.  Overall the response regarding
Moodle was very positive and most people found that it had most, if not all
of the capabilities they required.  The criticisms of Moodle were mainly
centered around the design and layout of the program rather than the
functions and capabilities.
*
*
*Virtual Worlds*
Virtual Worlds was also recommended to us and we received particularly
positive feedback with regards to language learning support tools.  A
benefit of Virtual Worlds is the innovative, futuristic, 3D design of the
pages, which allows for great interactive quizzes and training materials.

*WikiSpaces*
We didn’t receive any specific feedback on WikiSpaces but understand that a
number of institutions are using Wikis as online learning tools.

*Desire2Learn*
Desire2Learn contacted us in response to our Twitter discussion as they
offer a range of products and services based out of the United States.
 Their software is also Proprietary Software and they have a growing number
of clients, including educational institutions mainly based in the United
States.

Many thanks once again for contributing to the above discussion.  After
carefully considering the above feedback and discussing our specific needs
with our IT consultant, we feel that Moodle is the currently the best
online learning tool to support our Documenting and Revitalising Indigenous
Languages (DRIL) training program.  We are hoping to have our DRIL support
tool up and running in time for our first training program next year!

Kind Regards
Alison

Alison Soutar

Education Officer
Resource Network for Linguistic Diversity (RNLD)
www.rnld.org

PO Box 627
Carlton South, VIC 3053
Australia
Skype: RNLDorg

Ph: +61 3 9662-4027 (office)

Please note: I am in the Office on a Monday and Wednesday