Toolbox crossovers vs parallels

Jeremy Hammond Jeremy.Hammond at mpi.nl
Wed Dec 7 07:40:18 UTC 2011

I have tried both parallels and Wine on OSX.

My sentiments for parallels are similar to Aidan's on Virtualbox. The newer versions seem to work quite well and are nicely integrated with OSX. I even used to write in Word 07 on a virtual windows machine because of my dislike of the pervious office for mac 2008.

I did have a few issues getting some network printers working, but they might be better in the most recent release. You can trial it for free for 14 days if you have a spare XP or Win 7 license hanging around. My biggest  complaint that is if you don't use it often then sometimes it and the virtual machine can take time to do all its updates etc before working again.

Compared to a Wine version of toolbox I found parallels much better. The Wine version I was using had extremely annoying bugs with keystrokes, in particular modifier keys and special characters. Copying and pasting wasn't as efficient as parallels. Finally I really got annoyed with the startup of the Wine-Toolbox program. This may have been specific to our version but it required a ridiculous amount of tedious directory navigation to even open a toolbox 'database'. In fact file navigation in Wine is just bad.

My latest solution is to abandon the useful but flawed toolbox...perhaps write my own dictionary/interlinear function.

Further news they/we are working on getting interlinearisation into Elan though this is early days yet - perhaps 2012 sometime, though no promises. Some folks in Paris have developed a plugin that kinda works, which I have used to limited success, but I wouldn't suggest it for a long term or robust solution.

Regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Hammond
Syntax, Typology and Information Structure Group
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
P: +31-24-3521171
E: Jeremy.Hammond at mpi.nl<mailto:Jeremy.Hammond at mpi.nl>
W: http://www.mpi.nl/people/hammond-jeremy