Toolbox crossovers vs parallels

Terry J. Klokeid klokeid at uvic.ca
Wed Dec 7 08:01:59 UTC 2011

On 01-12-2011, at 5:39 pm, Margaret Carew wrote:

> Hi – just wondering who prefers using toolbox with crossovers – or is parallels better?
>
> thanks
> --
> Margaret Carew
> Arandic Endangered Languages Project
> Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education
> Alice Springs NT 0870
> 08 8951 8344 / 0422 418 559
> margaret.carew at batchelor.edu.au

I mostly use year-old and two-year old computers with OS 10.6.x, currently 10.6.8. I have no plan to use OS 10.7 until I start using some new Macintoshes that come with it installed.

I have employed Parallels through a few versions, for the sole purpose of being able to use SIL's Toolbox, which remains Windoze-only.

I have found that the experience has improved through successive versions of Parallels, and the most painful bits are a part of Windoze, not so much Parallels. (In fact, in a fit of pique, I went in to the Big City one weekend and bought a Windoze 7 "computer", only to discover that it is just as user-hostile as using Parallels-Toolbox on a Macintosh. So I probably won't use that Sony Vaio any more.) It costs a bit to buy the updates of Parallels, but then Toolbox remains free of charge, so overall it is not a big burden on the budget.

So all-in-all, I can recommend Parallels if you want to use Toolbox on a Macintosh.

I have no experience with CrossOver (crossovers?), so I cannot state a preference.

Dr. Terry J. Klokeid
Nučquuʔa

Adjunct Professor of Linguistics, University of Victoria
Coordinator, Nuu-chah-nulth Language Council
Developer, Huu-ay-aht Language Recovery Program

North Island College, Room S111A
3699 Roger Street
Port Alberni, BC  V9Y 8E3
250.724.8743