Solid State recorder

Post, Mark mark.post at jcu.edu.au
Wed Jun 1 23:48:04 UTC 2011

Stephen, I bought a Zoom H4n in Bangkok at Music Collection in Siam Centre or Paragon or whatever it is now back in 2009. Unless things have changed, this is the only place you'll be able to buy it since they're the official Zoom distributor in BKK. They've got other branches too and don't stock everything everywhere, so call ahead (I had to have mine delivered to the branch I was at, and it took all day). Here's their website: http://www.music.co.th/music13shop.php. No idea whether the Sony is there or not.

I second several comments made subsequent to Randy's; I've never had a problem with a Zoom H4n breaking down after using it almost daily (and having consultants use it) for three years now, and as far as flash cards go, I've been using a SanDisk 16Gb recently, which gives you an awful lot of room even at 48/24 ($40 at Panthip), and transfer .wav files just by swapping the flash card around. And it doesn't matter that it doesn't switch folders by itself; all 16Gb can go right into Folder 1. I did have problems with the H2s, which are much more cheaply made, and I've had an H1 as an emergency recorder for about a year; it's really, really great for what it is, but I wouldn't use it as a primary recorder. The internal mics are really cheap and noisy, and the slightest breeze sounds like a hurricane. In terms of battery life, the Zooms are all awful with Alkalines (no more than 2 hours with Duracells), but if you're using good-quality 2500 mah rechargeables you get about 6-8 hours.

As Nick (I think it was?) said, the Zoom does something weird to the .wav which some programs, including Transcriber, don't like, but if you run it through Audacity once everything becomes normal. Annoying, but it doesn't take all that long.

If you can find both the Sony and the Zoom in BKK, and if you're (a) planning to use Alkaline batteries and/or (b) the internal mics, I'd say go for the Sony. If (a) good rechargeables and (b) an external mic, go for the Zoom.

Hope that helps,
Mark