Handbrake, compression and mov files

Honeyman Tom t.honeyman at gmail.com
Sat May 7 05:35:47 UTC 2011

Hi Felicity,

From the info you sent me off list, it seems the video stream is encoded with the Apple Intermediate Codec:

> Duration: 00:01:41.48, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 111079 kb/s
>     Stream #0.0(eng): Video: Apple Intermediate Codec, 1440x1080, 109542 kb/s, PAR 4:3 DAR 16:9, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 2500 tbn, 2500 tbc
>     Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: pcm_s16be, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1536 kb/s

Wikipedia has the basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Intermediate_Codec

This restricts working with the files to quicktime based software. Try transcoding the files with a quicktime compatible program. For instance, MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/), iMovie, Compressor, or FinalCut should allow you to export as a MPEG_TS type muxed MPEG2 file (.mpg, .mpeg, .mpg2) or similar. Then it should work in Handbrake, Miro, or FFMpegX.

Cheers,
Tom