Headset microphone

Post, Mark mark.post at jcu.edu.au
Mon Sep 12 00:28:02 UTC 2011

Hi Colleen -

We recently started using Rode HS1s, which are around that (we paid something like $315 last year). While I don't have oodles of experience with headset mics and so can't compare the nitty-gritty, I was very, very pleased with the sound quality and they're very sturdily built (in AU).

They don't run on batteries unlike most Rodes, so that's a bit of a minus. You need to buy an adaptor (something like $30) to run them off your recorder's phantom power. But they consume so little that we couldn't notice any difference in battery life at all.

Cheers
Mark

Mark W. Post, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Anthropological Linguistics
The Cairns Institute
James Cook University
Smithfield, QLD 4878
Australia