[RNLD] Bleek and Lloyd transcription project

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Fri Oct 12 17:20:40 UTC 2012

[Sent on behalf of Ngoni Munyaradzi]

Hi

My name is Ngoni, a Masters student in Computer Science at the
University of Cape Town. I work in the Digital Libraries Laboratory,
primarily focusing on research based on the preservation and
transcription of the Bleek and Lloyd collection(!xam and !kun), link:
http://lloydbleekcollection.cs.uct.ac.za/

I am attempting to use a crowd-sourced volunteer model to transcribe
the Bleek and Lloyd collection by using thousands of volunteers who
will each transcribe a small amount of text using the transcription
tool I've developed.

Would you be able to help me publicize my project to communities who
might have interest in preserving endangered languages or any
interested researchers/people doing similar projects, that might been
keen to participate in this research?

Feel free to visit my project website and test out the transcription tool:
http://boinc.cs.uct.ac.za/transcribe_bushman

The software I’m using is open-source, the crowd-sourcing framework
I'm using is called Bossa and available here:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/BossaIntro
here's another link if you are interested of a new framework that's
been developed recently: www.pybossa.com

I just added a transcription interface onto the framework, for it to
suite the needs of my project.
I will make the code available on Git hub.

Regards,

Ngoni

###

UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer
published on our website at
http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable
from +27 21 650 9111. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s)
to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error,
please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the
e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content.
If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the
sender in the sender's individual capacity.

###