[RNLD] Digitizing tapes - what's the current best practice?

Mark W. Post markwpost at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 16 07:41:27 UTC 2012

Hi All -

We're about to embark on some pretty extensive cassette tape
digitization over here, and I'm wondering what people feel is the
current best practice. We plan to digitize to a PC (not to CD or DAT),
and are prepared to pay for additional storage capacity to record at
48/24, or possibly at 96/24 if it turns out to really be worth it. What
I'm mainly wondering about is hardware. I often hear about getting a
"good sound card", but I'm not exactly sure what variables to keep in
mind. I'm aware that nowadays some people are using external "sound
cards" with USB interfaces, and that they offer different sampling
depths etc. But I'm not sure whether there might be less obvious
variables (for example, might they vary in frequency response, like
microphones? I have no idea). Also, I'm aware that there are units like
the Tape2PC that try to do everything for you, but the units I've seen
are so cheap that it makes me suspicious. And I'm also thinking about
cabling, and wondering whether there's a better way than squeezing
everything through a 3.5mm pin (I've seen that some "external sound
cards" have RCA inputs, which must be better?).

Has anybody been doing this sort of work recently, and if so, would you
mind sharing your strategy?

Thanks very much in advance,

Mark

--