[RNLD] data recovery options

Peter Austin pa2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Thu Sep 13 07:50:35 UTC 2012

Like Claire I have 3 or 4 backups of important stuff -- I use 2 hard
drives, Dropbox, and Carbonite (a paid backup service that is constantly
trickling backups to the cloud whenever I am on line) as well as SSD
storage (cards, memory sticks). You also need a good backup routine and
lots of discipline.

In addition to backup you should have an archiving strategy and be
archiving materials (with relevant metadata) on an ongoing basis.

As I tell my students, you WILL lose data at some point in your work --
it's a question of managing (and minimising) how much you lose.

Peter

--
Prof Peter K. Austin
Marit Rausing Chair in Field Linguistics

web: http://www.hrelp.org/aboutus/staff/index.php?cd=pa