[RNLD] WAV file corruption

Amanda Hamilton panikata at WANGKAMAYA.ORG.AU
Mon Sep 17 08:08:38 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I've just experienced a problem with a WAV file, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything similar. One of my WAV files appears to have gone silent about 60% of the way through. (Luckily, I have a backup copy, so nothing has been lost.) I know the file worked perfectly fine as of last week, as I transcribed it in ELAN in its entirety with no problem. When I went to open the file in ELAN today, though, part of it was just silent; the transcriptions were all still there, but they were just time-aligned to silence. I opened the offending WAV file in both Audacity and Windows Media Player and found that the problem persisted in both instances.

Like I said, nothing has really been lost-I just copied over the backup copy and relinked the ELAN file to that one. But does anyone have any idea why such a thing might have happened?

Thanks!
Amanda

Amanda Hamilton - Linguist
Wangka Maya Pilbara Aboriginal Language Centre
67 Throssell Rd, South Hedland, WA 6722
08 9172 2344 (ph)
08 9172 2355 (fax)
www.wangkamaya.org.au