[RNLD] Strange issue with Transcriber 1.5.1

Mark W. Post markwpost at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 6 11:40:12 UTC 2013

Dear Listmembers,

I've been having a strange problem for a long time with Transcriber
1.5.1 and wouldn't mind seeing if anyone on the list understands what's
going on.

When I open a .wav file in Transcriber (recorded at 48/24 on a Zoon
H4n), the waveform view looks like it's completely blown out, as though
the gain were set much too high. But the audio sounds fine (note that
adjusting the gain on the control panel only compresses the view of the
whole blown-out waveform, it doesn't actually "zoom out" from it). This
is a problem for chunking, since a giant solid line can't be used to
anticipate breakpoints. Now, when I import the .wav file into Audacity
and export it as an edited .wav file - even if I haven't actually edited
it - and re-import it into Transcriber, the waveform suddenly looks
fine, and sounds exactly the same as before. Does anyone understand
what's going on, and maybe know how to fix it?

Thanks very much in advance,

Mark