[RNLD] favourite learner's grammars

Piers Kelly piers.kelly at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 14 02:56:40 UTC 2013

Dear RNLDers,
I don't know much about pedagogical grammars but I know what I like.
For me, a good learner's grammar presupposes no prior experience of
second-language learning (and how hard it is), is short and fun (as opposed
to comprehensive and pedantic), is free of digressions into linguistic
theory, and is above all relevant to the target users' needs. Eg, example
sentences that illustrate grammatical features might also double-up as
useful and culturally appropriate phrases for learner interaction with
speakers.

Having got that off my chest, please share with me your favourite
pedagogical grammars from around the world. I will make the list available
to the group.

Cheers,

Piers.