[RNLD] favourite learner's grammars

Margaret Carew margaret.carew at BATCHELOR.EDU.AU
Tue Jun 25 03:44:05 UTC 2013

Hi – there is an excellent review of Indigenous language learning apps here:

http://globalnativenetworks.com/2013/06/18/idecolonize-indigenous-language-learning-mobile-apps/

cheers

Margaret Carew
Project Linguist
Desert Peoples Centre, Alice Springs
Research, Teaching and Learning Division
Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education

tel: 08 8951 8344 | fax: 08 8951 8311
email: margaret.carew at batchelor.edu.au<mailto:margaret.carew at batchelor.edu.au>  | www.batchelor.edu.au<http://www.batchelor.edu.au/>

This email and any files transmitted with it are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you receive this email in error, please advise us by return email immediately. Please also disregard the contents of the email, delete it and destroy any copies immediately.

From: Piers Kelly <piers.kelly at gmail.com<mailto:piers.kelly at gmail.com>>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:56:40 +1000
To: r-n-l-d <r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au>>
Subject: [RNLD] favourite learner's grammars

Dear RNLDers,
I don't know much about pedagogical grammars but I know what I like.
For me, a good learner's grammar presupposes no prior experience of second-language learning (and how hard it is), is short and fun (as opposed to comprehensive and pedantic), is free of digressions into linguistic theory, and is above all relevant to the target users' needs. Eg, example sentences that illustrate grammatical features might also double-up as useful and culturally appropriate phrases for learner interaction with speakers.

Having got that off my chest, please share with me your favourite pedagogical grammars from around the world. I will make the list available to the group.

Cheers,

Piers.