[RNLD] Links between publication and sound corpus

Doug Cooper doug.cooper.thailand at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 7 14:12:52 UTC 2013

My experience is that if you know the sound intervals in advance, it's
easiest in the long run to use sox or mp3splt [sic] to chop up the files
from the get-go.  You can:

  - create them all at once from a shell script (batch file),
  - use the start-finish (or start-duration) details as file names,
  - serve them from anywhere on the Web as standalone audio files,
  - link to them (as audio files) from anywhere (e.g. PDFs or Web pages).

   As far as I know the alternative is to write a cgi script that does the
exact same thing, but is more painful in regard to linking and serving.
It also creates a long-term dependency issue for secondary applications
like dictionaries, which would have to rely on your server forever, rather
than copying the snippets they need.  (I'm not aware of any archives that
provide an API for random access to archived audio.)

   None of this prevents you from metatagging the original, complete file
with all the gory time interval details, of course.

   Good luck,
   Doug