[RNLD] Links between publication and sound corpus

Jeremy Hammond Jeremy.Hammond at MPI.NL
Thu Mar 7 14:06:41 UTC 2013

While I haven't yet seen links from a pdf do this, it surely is only a matter of time. One issue is that ELAN is lacking the scripting interface to do this with code. And that embedding 100s of audio clips in a pdf might be bad for long term portability which as you mention is a concern. I personally think hyperlinks to a website is the easiest option as long as the website is maintained (or distributed with the pdf/book).

Other options could include:

1. Deposit your recordings and transcripts in an archive like DOBES or PARADISEC (or whatever the S. American equivalent is). They should then have permanent handle for each file and you can then use this as a basis for links on a website e.g. http://thesis.ideophone.org/. The thesis (both hard and soft) copy then can have lookup codes for the website.

2. Try having a look at Nick Thieberger's project http://www.eopas.org/ perhaps this is what you are after.

I'm personally leaving a code (e.g. corpus=ISJHWS3-20100711JVC-01-ma 00:02:57.014--00:03:02.941) at a citation for each example in my thesis. This references the file name and the time extract. It is a little long and clunky but is all I need to find the example again. I suppose as some point I could do  a search and replace it them with a hyperlink so that they would link to a website.

Jeremy

Jeremy Hammond
Syntax, Typology and Information Structure Group
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics
P: +31-24-3521171
E: Jeremy.Hammond at mpi.nl
W: http://www.mpi.nl/people/hammond-jeremy