[RNLD] Links between publication and sound corpus

Steffen Haurholm-Larsen shaurholml at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 7 12:52:48 UTC 2013

I am a Danish PhD student writing my dissertation at the University of
Bern, Switzerland, in the form of a grammar of Garifuna, an Arawakan
language spoken in most Central American countries. I am posting here
because I have so far been unable to accomplish the linkage of specific
parts of recordings to texts of language description such as a
dissertation. I am thinking that someone in the linguistic community might
have done this or have some suggestions.

I intend to follow the best practices in language documentation with all
that this entails in terms of data portability, metadata, archiving etc.
and I would also like to incorporate the underlying data in the writing of
my dissertation, and I figure it will much easier to start linking examples
to media files from the beginning rather than having to go through the
whole dissertation at the end and put those links in.

However, to date I know of no program or tool that will allow me to link
directly between a document such as a dissertation, and directly play a
specific time interval in a media file, that is, I would like to avoid
cutting my audio files up into little pieces but rather just link to the
specific time code where the relevant example is located. I am transcribing
in ELAN which does allow the user to search and go directly to a specific
annotation and it is possible to do quite specific searches, but I have yet
to figure out how one might access a specific annotation / sound interval
directly by a link inside the dissertation text itself.

Does anybody know of such a program or perhaps who might have done
something similar?

The reason I would like to do this is the accessibility that this would add
to the data - ultimately it should be possible to link both ways, from the
descriptive work to the corpus and back, and preferably also with a link to
a dictionary.

Best wishes,

Steffen Haurholm-Larsen
Universität Bern