[RNLD] Request regarding archiving your FLEx databases

Andrea L. Berez andrea.berez at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 19 01:37:01 UTC 2013

Dear RNLD,
Our colleague Hugh Patterson asked me to post the following to the RNLD
list regarding his survey on archiving FLEx databases. Please reply to Hugh
or answer his online survey--the email address and the link are in the text
below.

Andrea

--
Andrea L. Berez
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
Director, Kaipuleohone UH Digital Ethnographic Archive
Technology editor, *Language Documentation & Conservation*
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~aberez
-----
Last year the SIL Archive did an analysis of what kinds of materials are
being submitted to SIL's Language and Culture Archive. During the 2012 year
only 4 FLEx data sets were submitted to the archive. The archive is looking
to see if this is a broader trend among FLEx users (and more generally
lexical database users) or if it is unique to SIL contexts. We are
particularly expecting responses from people who work with minority
languages but all lexicographic database users are open to respond to the
Questionnaire. We are asking 4 questions:

If you are a FLEx user (or even a Toolbox or Lexus user):
Please take a quick moment to fill out the following online questionnaire:
http://bit.ly/1hBuDHi

For those in a bandwidth restricted situation feel free to reply to the
questions below with answers to: Hugh_Paterson [ at ] sil.org

Four questions:

1. What version of FLEx are you using?:
2. What is the ISO code of the language you are using it with?:
3. Have you ever archived a version of your current FLEx Database at an
official archive? (An archive like SIL's L & CA, or SOAS's ELAR, or MPI's
TLA. - Though it doesn't have to be one of these three. ) - Yes / No:
4: Have you ever produced a Print or Digital Publication from your FLEx
data (like a Glossary or a Dictionary)? if so we would like to hear about
it, got a link or a citation?:

One entry per language. If you work with more than one language, feel free
to submit one answer per language or add a comment to that effect with a
list of the ISO 639-3 codes or language names.
Personal details (email address and name) will be kept confidential, other
data and generalizations of trends may be published.

Thank you for the work you do and the effort you make to serve speakers of
minority languages.

- Hugh Paterson