[RNLD] Linguistics in the Pub Tuesday 29th October 2013 Getting our message across to the media

Ruth Singer ruth.singer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 11 00:16:39 UTC 2013

Topic: Getting our message across to the media: how to raise awareness
about endangered languages

Engaging with the media and wider public about language documentation is an
important awareness-raising role that linguists and language workers should
be encouraged to perform as part of their social responsibility. For many
of us, finding a way to talk to the media that is truthful to our work is
often fraught with the dangers of over-sensationalising or trivialising the
realities for speakers of endangered languages. In this month's LIP we hope
to share experiences of interactions with the media, and strategies for
ensuring that we find a way of promoting the work that we do in ways that
are both interesting to the general public and respectful to the
communities we belong to or work with.

Some recent examples of the types of media reports that we will discuss are:
"Reviving Aboriginal languages", National Geographic:
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/gallery-revival-of-aboriginal-languages.htm

"Local Philanthropists Fund Project to Save Dying Language":
http://ottawastart.com/story/15939.php

> Please bring along examples of media reports that you would like to discuss

Time:      6:00 - 8:00 pm
Venue:    Upstairs room, Prince Alfred Hotel,

191 Grattan St, Carlton
(corner of Bouverie St)
ph ‪(03) 9347-3033‬‎

Food and drinks available at the venue

LIP is organised by Ruth Singer and Lauren Gawne, University of Melbourne

Contact  Ruth Singer if you have any questions rsinger at unimelb.edu.au

LIP is an occasional gathering of language activists and linguists in
Melbourne. All are welcome. Those in other parts of Australia and the
world who can't make it to the Melbourne LIPs are encouraged to
organise a local gathering to discuss this topic and support language
activities in your area.

--
Ruth Singer
ARC Research Fellow