[RNLD] Headphone Amps for Transcription

Bill Forshaw w.forshaw at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 6 01:48:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

When doing transcription work in the field I often use a headphone splitter
to run either a pair of headphones and small set of computer speakers or
two sets of headphones. I do this by using a small cheap 'passive'
splitter  see link http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PA3582.

However this reduces the strength of the signal to the two devices,
particularly the headphones. This sometimes results in the audio level
being too low, especially when transcribing conversation. I can raise the
volume artificially on the laptop but this can result in distortion which
is of course not ideal.

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience in using a headphone
amplifier in conjunction with their laptop to help drive a number of
headphones. I am thinking about adding something like this 4 way headphone
amp to my field work toolkit http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA400.aspx.
Any thoughts/experience?

Thanks