[RNLD] RE: Archivist Question re: Video - Handycam or Zoom Q3HD

John Mansfield jbmansfield at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 11 05:45:58 UTC 2014

For a handycam, I would recommend Panasonic HDC-SD900 ... or a similar
successor model, assuming it has been replaced.

It records at 44.1khz, and I use it with a Sennheiser shotgun microphone,
producing what I consider to be excellent sound quality. On the other hand,
for recording careful phonetic samples I use Zoom and Marantz audio
recorders with different mics.
(One limitation is the input jacks are minijack, not XLR. But I still find
the sound quality fine.)

The Panasonic handycam also has a wide-angle lens.