[RNLD] Linguistics in the pub in London (LIPIL) - Monday 7th September 2015

Lauren Gawne lauren.gawne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 14:49:51 UTC 2015

*Announcement: Linguistics in the pub in London (LIPIL)** Monday 7th
September 2015** - Fieldwork in multilingual communities *
*(Guest participant Dr. Ruth Singer)*

LIPIL is an occasional gathering of language activists and linguists in
London and serves as an informal forum for the discussion of languages,
linguistics and related issues. We plan to meet roughly once a month and
discuss a particular theme or issue that is of interest to the group. It
builds on the LIP concept <http://www.rnld.org/LIP> which originally began
in Melbourne, Australia and has spread to other places in that country, and
now to the UK. LIPIL is coordinated by Lauren Gawne (SOAS, University of
London) and is open to everyone who is interested. We're currently looking
for people who might be interested in helping to organise LIPIL, or write
summaries of each of the events for the Endangered Languages and Cultures
blog <http://www.paradisec.org.au/blog/>.

Our first LIPIL is the evening before the conference *African
Multilingualism
<http://www.britac.ac.uk/events/2015/African_Multilingualism.cfm>:*

*Motivations, modalities, movement and meaning. *In keeping with the
conference themes we'll be discussing language documentation in
multilingual societies. We will discuss the different ways that
multilingualism may be present in communities small and large, urban and
rural. We will also discuss the practical implications for fieldworking
linguists and communities, for projects with a range of aims including
language documentation projects, sociolinguistic description and
experimental linguistics. We will be joined by Dr. Ruth Singer
<http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/about/staff/dr-ruth-singer> (The
University of Melbourne) who works with small but highly multilingual
community in north-west Arnhem Land in Australia. Ruth has also run the
Melbourne LIP for several years, and will be participating in the African
Multilingualism conference.

Background reading:

Childs, Tucker, Jeff Good & Alice Mitchell. (2014). Beyond the ancestral
code: Towards a model for sociolinguistic language documentation. *Language
Documentation & Conservation* 8,
168-191.
*http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/26121
<http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10125/26121>*