Fwd: [RNLD] collaborative transcription/translation/subtitling

Nick Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Mar 13 21:46:43 UTC 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>
Date: 8 November 2014 at 17:20
Subject: Re: [RNLD] collaborative transcription/translation/subtitling
To: Sally Nicholas <snic002 at aucklanduni.ac.nz>
Cc: rnlist <r-n-l-d at unimelb.edu.au>

Hi Sally,

Prompted by your message I tried subtitling a short video in Amara. To
begin with, the video needs to be on a server. I chose one that was in the
EOPAS system (http://www.eopas.org/transcripts/33) and served from there in
ogg theora format. This was fine for doing the subtitling, but caused some
problem for embedding the video later, I'm not sure why, so I can't share
the results of this work with you.

Adding text is not hard, and it doesn't take long to get the hang of the
method of aligning the text after you have typed it, by sliding a box along
the timeline of the video. I had thought that this kind of system may not
allow as accurate a time correlation as in Elan, but it seems pretty good.

It is a slight problem that the language selection offered by Amara is
limited and you have to select a language name to be able to do the
subtitling, so you will have to select a language that is not the real
target language.

Once you have finished you can download the text of the subtitles in the
following formats: vtt, ssa, srt, sbv, dfxp, txt. Unfortunately, it doesn't
look like any of those can be directly imported into Elan, so you will
still need to do some conversion of those files to a format that can be
imported.

In the end it looks like a promising system that can be easily learned but
will need some work to get subtitles into a format to import into Elan (if
that is your aim).

Nick