[RNLD] Importing timecoded text into Premiere Pro

Hiram Ring HIRAM1 at e.ntu.edu.sg
Wed Oct 21 03:11:17 UTC 2015

Dear Listmembers,

  I've been corresponding with Mark about this concern and have written a script that converts interlinearized Toolbox texts (in .txt format) into subtitles (.srt format) using existing timecodes that were imported into Toolbox with Andrew Margetts' online tool (http://linguisticsoftwareconverters.zong.mine.nu/).

 The .srt file(s) produced can be easily imported into DVD authoring programs that support subtitles (such as Aimersoft), but currently there is an issue with importing into Premier Pro that seems to be with PP itself. Perhaps a future iteration of this script will deal with the issue.

  For now, you can download the current program, called 'txt2srt' as a Windows executable file and a Python script bundled in a single .zip file on DropBox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9z6x3i7m7as3ns/txt2srt.zip?dl=0

  The current version uses a text-editable configuration file 'txt2srt.cfg' (also bundled in the .zip file) to determine the format of the markers used for the sentence reference marker, timecode beginning and ending, text, and free translation lines.

  To run it, simply place the executable (or the Python script) and the configuration file in a folder that contains .txt files which you want to convert to .srt - running the program will output an .srt file for each .txt file in the folder. More information is included in the README.txt file also included in the bundle.

  Hopefully this is helpful - it is released under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license, so feel free to edit the Python script for your own purposes.

Best,
Hiram