[RNLD] Field Linguistics Texts

Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada jrosesla at uwo.ca
Sat Aug 20 05:29:41 UTC 2016

Dear Leslie,

In addition to the already-mentioned manuals and handbooks, there's also:

   1. Abbi, Anvita. 2001. *A manual of linguistic field work and structures
   of Indian languages*. Munich: Lincom Europa.
   2. Kibrik, A. E. 1977. *The methodology of field investigations in
   linguistics: Setting up the problem* (Janua  linguarum).  The  Hague:
   Mouton.
   3. Vaux, Bert and Justin Cooper. 1999.* Introduction to linguistic field
   methods* (Coursebooks in linguistics 1) Munich: Lincom Europa. [there is
   a new 2007 edition with Emily Tucker published by
   Wipf and Stock Publishers]

Kibrik's book is interesting from a historical perspective but perhaps not
the best choice for a field methods class given the availability of more
recent and more comprehensive texts. Abbi's book is particularly useful if
you are working with an Indian language in your class. Finally, while the
Vaux and Cooper book might not include information on technology use and
ethics as for example Bowern (2008) or Chelliah and De Reuse (2011) do, I
remember finding it extremely useful when it was used in my first field
methods class as an MA student back in 2009 because of its organization
around levels of structure.

Best,
Jorge
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Banting-Killam Postdoctoral Fellow
First Nations and Endangered Languages Program
University of British Columbia