[RNLD] List or review of language apps

Aidan Pine aidanpine at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 24 02:36:47 EST 2017

Hi all,

I'm new to this list but this is an area that really interests me as well. I'm a linguist and developer and have been working on a dictionary app called Waldayu (www.waldayu.org) and we'll be rolling out dictionary apps for around 10 Indigenous languages spoken in Canada over the next couple of months in collaboration with FirstVoices and UBC. We also have some other projects starting in Nepal and the US, but none in Australia so I apologize for not being totally relevant to the original poster, although I think there are definitely shared challenges with language revitalization in Canada & Australia. Check out www.waldayu.org/lilwat and www.waldayu.org/lilwat/web_test for (in-testing) samples.

We wanted to make an app that could be used online or offline for Android, iOS and the web and was able to anticipate some of the challenges users face when looking up entries in a dictionary, (lack of orthographic/phonological knowledge, inability to type certain "special" characters, multiple orthographies etc). In line with what John mentioned, we're adamant about these apps being intended to complement existing language revitalization efforts, not replace them. We're also interested in trying to create some evaluative, quantifiable methods (likely leveraging Google Analytics) for determining the app's "success" in the way you discuss it, Ben. It seems like with support for many languages using the same app we might be in a unique position to look into this.

I still feel a little funny about using Google Analytics, so I would want to have an explicit option to give permission for the app to collect anonymous data. Finding out how often users use the app after first launch would be useful as you say. The app employs an approximate search algorithm as well that is customizable for each language and records the edit distance between the query and entries in the dictionary. What we would also like to do is perhaps track whether a user's queries improve over time - i.e. whether their queries have a smaller edit distance over time or not. I'd be interested to hear or discuss what other statistics folks might find interesting.

Aidan