[RNLD] Consult -- Running FLEx/LexiquePro/SayMore with CrossOver

John Mansfield jbmansfield at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:04:48 EDT 2017

Hi Jorge!

There are two different types of software, Windows *emulators* and Windows
*virtualisers*. An emulator is like something that can pretend to be
WIndowsy enough to run a Windows program, whereas a virualiser actually
establishes a Windows OS living on top of your Mac OS.

CrossOver and Wine are, I think, emulators. They run Toolbox, but not Flex.
Flex needs a virtualiser. I ran it with a virtualiser called VMWare for a
while. This was okay but it got really slow - not sure if this was a
problem inherent to the software, or to do with running virtualisers on our
networked uni computers.

I now just keep a basic Windows laptop just for running Flex. Maybe this
seems crazy, but such computers are pretty cheap, and I found it to be the
neatest solution.