[RNLD] What’s a good Database for recordings, transcriptions, photos etc?

Nick Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jun 18 01:55:07 EDT 2018

Hi Vaso,

This is a very topical issue. I know that IRCA is looking to develop a
database for media agencies and I have spoken with a few different cultural
centres and language centres who all face the same issue.

A spreadsheet is not a bad place to start, but the problem you quickly run
into is keeping consistent in the way that you enter information. That's
why a relational database is an advantage, so you can have a dropdown list
of people, places, topics and so on from what is already in the database.

I've also seen confusion about the difference between presenting material
(like in Storylines, Keeping Cultures, Ara Irititja or Mukurtu) and
describing and building a catalog of material. These are two different
things and a catalog is the first thing to do, it can feed the display
later. Another thing to keep in mind is that none of these actually
archives your records, so you still need to figure out how to make offsite
backups of digital data, and digitise all analog recordings.

At the ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language we have a
working party looking at existing databases and deciding which ones could
be adapted for use in these kinds of agencies. I hope to report on results
soon.

Nick