[RNLD] Karama - thanks

Michael Walsh michael.walsh at sydney.edu.au
Wed Nov 21 17:00:45 EST 2018

Dear All

I had always assumed Karama was from the Top End and Lockwood's account more or less clinches that idea.

I agree with Felicity about Garama and variants being a Jaminjung term for their northern neighbour. They also calqued e.g. Murrinhkura rendered as Liny Gugu i.e. language (fresh) water. Cannot recall the Jam calque for Murrinhpatha just now.

I am inclined to reject WA contenders.

Best wishes

Micahel

Michael Walsh