[RNLD] Seeking indigenous Australian language representatives in U.S.

Emily Gref emily.gref at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:36:07 EST 2019

Dear colleagues,

In my day job, I am currently working with Planet Word
<https://www.planetwordmuseum.org/>, a museum about words and language that
is opening in Washington, DC, in early 2020.

One of our exhibits is about language diversity around the globe, and I am
very excited by the way it is shaping up! We will be featuring 30
languages, each represented by a "language ambassador" that will tell
visitors about their language via pre-recorded video.

We've had good success in finding speakers for most of our "wishlist"
languages, however, one area that we've been struggling with is Australian
indigenous languages. We would love to be able to feature an Australian
language in this exhibit. Unfortunately, we are constrained by time and
budget needs to only film people that are within driving (or train)
distance to New York City, where our media producers are located.

Although we've reached out the Australian embassy, indigenous art
galleries, and other connections, we've had no luck finding someone that
lives close enough to NYC and is willing and available to represent their
language in this exhibit (though of course we realize there are cultural
protocols to consider as well).

This is a bit of a long shot, but if anyone is aware of any indigenous
Australians that might be interested in participating in this exhibit, we
would be very grateful for the connection.

Thank you very much!

All the best,
Emily

--
Emily Gref, Content Manager
*Planet Word *| *Museum of Language Arts*