[RNLD] Cognates in NSW Langauges

Barry Alpher barryalpher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 18:40:55 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Here attached is my Pama-Nyungan list. David already has a recent copy of
the file; the other two of you do not.

So, Peter and Lesley, there are three conditions:
Please do not circulate it further; and
Please note that is a working copy, as the filename states. I don't want to
have variant copies in others' possession, so I ask you that if you feel
something is wrong and you'd like to se it corrected, of if you would like
something added, please send your comments on to me; and
Please consult me before citing.

The file has grown and changed since the 2004 publication, and of course it
contains material that I ruled out in 2004 as not going back to
proto-Pama-Nyungan. Some of those forms I now regard as clearly
proto-Pama-Nyungan in age, and on the other hand there are numerous new
doubtful new forms that I find intriguing for one reason or another. And
there are some that I designated proto-Pama-Nyungan in age in 2004 that I
now think are not: an example is the *kuc(y)arra ('two') etymon--and that
reminds me, I am now working on the hypothesis that the lamino-alveopalatal
stop and nasal (c and ñ) were not distinct from (th, nh) (the "Warburton
Ranges pattern") in pPNy and am in the process of rethinking *c(y) as *ki,
*yk and so on. I can't promise consistency in this regard, but I hope I've
got it all cross-referenced.
   The "Appendix" (Command-Option-g) is a list of specifically southeast
Cape York Peninsula forms that I made in aide of stuff I was writing on
Yidiny and other languages of the region. In theory all that material is
duplicated in the main list but I can't promise that.
   And, of course, there are numerous typos and other sloppy stuff.

Have fun with it,
Barry